Circa 1892, Summer home of Richard C. Kerens, business
partner of H.G. Davis and S.B. Elkins; member of Republican
National Committee 1888-1900; U.S. Ambassador to Austria-Hungary
1909-1913. Modified Shingle Style, of coursed sandstone,
featuring wide porches, large shingled dormers, and two towers.
Architects - Peabody & Stearns, Boston. Named from carved
pinecone finial atop newel post of central stairway.
Built 1894-95; attached Sunday School building added 1921.
Gift of industrialists Thomas B. and Se. Henry G. Davis, in
memory of their parents. Late Gothic Revival, designed by
Baltimore architect Charles E. Cassell. Sunday School building
by Washington, D.C., architect Clarence L. Harding. Walls and
tower of locally-quarried sandstone, roof of random-pattern
glazed tiles in yellow to purple hues. West window features five
stained glass panels designed in the Tiffany Style.
|Taylor-Condrey House ("Ednalea")
Built 1880-81. One of the oldest houses in Elkins area;
architect unknown. Colonial Revival, perhaps modeled after Mt.
Vernon. Constructed by Andrew Taylor; deeded to his son Blaine
Taylor (Chief Clerk of U.S. Postal Dept., 1897 - 1904) in 1904.
Named "Ednalea" by Dr. R.J. Condrey, owner of the
property from 1930 to 1978.
Courthouse & Jail
Courthouse built 1902-08. One of the foremost Richardsonian
Romanesque-style building in West Virginia. Designed by
Uniontown, Pa., architect J. Charles Fulton. Built of
locally-quarried sandstone with contrasting smooth and textured
stone trim, much of it extensively carved. 150-foot tower offset
by steep hip roof of red tiles, with large gables and corner
turret. Engaged buttress serves as a pedestal for
classical-style statue holding the scales of justice. Jail built
in 1910's, also with corner tower and red tile roof.
|Gov. H.G. Kump House
Built 1924-25. Home of Herman Guy Kump (1877-1962), mayor
of Elkins, Circuit Judge, Governor of West Virginia, 1933-37.
Designed by Washington, D.C., architect Clarence L. Harding.
Neo-Federalist with Neo-Georgian Revival elements- brick
exterior, steeply-pitched slate gable roof with low raking
parapets, limestone lintels, porte-cochere, and Federal-style
- Beverly Historic District
- Blackman-Bosworth Store
- Butcher Hill Historic
- Rich Mountain Battlefield
- Tygart Valley Homesteads
- Albert and Liberal Arts Halls
- Baldwin-Chandlee Supply
Company-Valley Supply Company
- Davis and Elkins Historic
- Downtown Elkins Historic
- Dr. John C. Irons House Elkins
- Senator Stephen Benton Elkins
- Warfield-Dye Residence
- Wees Historic District
- West Virginia Children's Home
- Glady Presbyterian Church and
- Day-Vandevander Mill
- Cheat Summit
- Fort E. E. Hutton House
- Tygarts Valley Church
- Fred A. Perly House
- Mill Creek
- See-Ward House
- Middle Mountain Cabins