Tell your hosts you found them on 1st Traveler's Choice.
Lambert and the Nutt
Brothers then forked over 40 acres of land with
solid timber and a good water supply to convince officials to
locate the county seat (already named Granbury) in the
foothills of Comanche Peak. For that reason, Lambert and the
Nutt Brothers are considered to be Granbury's founding
county seat officially came into existence in 1871, and a town
square sprung up overnight. In those early days, the town
square consisted of little more than a courthouse, a jail, and
a bunch of saloons located next to ten pin alleys. As one
historian would write, "It was a rough and wild time."
probably didn't help that folks in the southern part of Hood
County wanted a county seat of their own. They resented having
to drive so far to conduct business. With no way to resolve
the matter, Hood County's southernmost residents seceded and
formed Somervell County in 1875.
was about that time that the new courthouse (a native
limestone structure that had replaced the original log-cabin
courthouse) burned to the ground. Residents tried to salvage
part of the building but finally gave up. The courthouse they
wound up building from scratch in 1891 is the one that still
venture proved risky because the land surrounding his outpost
still belonged to Indians. In fact, their presence led folks
to name the region's most distinctive landmark (a nearby
1,129-foot mesa) Comanche Peak.
During Barnard's heyday, the area surrounding his
outpost typified the wild west. There were no lawmen, so folks
pretty much did as they pleased. The legislature set the stage
for some semblance of order when it created Hood County.
County and its county seat, Granbury, bears a history born of
America's Civil War.
war ended in 1865, and the Texas Legislature established Hood
County a year later with the provision that the county seat be
named Granbury and located within six miles of the pecan-rich
county's geographical center.
county's namesake is John Bell
Hood, a Confederate general who commanded the Army
of the Tennessee. The county seat is named after Hiram
B. Granbury, a Confederate general who led the
Texas Brigade. General Granbury died in the Battle of
Franklin, Tennessee in November 1864. He was buried in
Columbia, Tennessee but re-buried in the Granbury Cemetery in
Granbury and Hood County borrow their names from Confederate
soldiers, it was Charles Barnard,
a Yankee, who settled the territory. Barnard and his brother
did so by opening a trading post just west of the Brazos River
early days also gave birth to the town's first newspaper. Captain
W.L. Bond got the presses rolling in 1872 with a
publication called The Vidette.
Ashley Crockett, the
grandson of Davy Crockett, joined Bond as an apprentice and
took over soon thereafter when his employer unexpectedly died.
Crockett renamed the newspaper The
Graphic, and that publication later evolved
into the Hood County Tablet.
A.B. Crawford, a woman who proved key in the
restoration of Granbury's town square, bought The
Tablet in 1937 and, in 1945, merged it with
another publication, the Granbury
News, to form the Hood
County News Tablet.
of the headlines in Granbury's earliest newspaper were
provided by the cowboys who came here to wet their whistle.
Granbury's seven saloons, the cowboys' favorite may have been
the Aston-Landers Saloon
on the north side of the square. Mr. Aston's fiancee, Dollie,
didn't much care for the place, though. So to mend domestic
fences, Aston built Dollie a lavish home. "Dollie's House"
remains one of the most beautiful properties among the many
that punctuate Granbury's historical landscape.
of the cowboys that spirited downtown Granbury rode in on
their horses. Some came to town, though, via the Fort Worth
and Rio Grande Railroad. The train's arrival in 1887 created a
boom for Granbury's agrarian economy; and by 1905, there stood
five cotton gins and a cottonseed oil mill. All were needed to
help meet the huge demand for Granbury's number one cash crop.
history officially began to resurrect in 1969 with the
restoration of the Hood County courthouse that was built in
1891. Soon thereafter, the Granbury Opera House, built in
1886, was restored, and the jail, built in 1885, was
ultimately converted into a museum.
Granbury's history is beautifully reflected by the shimmering
waters of Lake Granbury, which was created as a Brazos
Reservoir in 1969.
Written by Gary
Elizabeth Crockett's Grave