was incorporated as a town in 1901. Prior to that
time, it was part of South Kingstown, with local
history dating back to 1675, when Roland Robinson
purchased land from the Narragansett Indians in
Pettaquamscutt and Pt. Judith.
was an important industry and sailing vessels were
built on the Narrow River at Middlebridge. In the
early 1700's, South Ferry and Franklin Ferry were
thriving communities offering ferry service to
Jamestown and Newport for more than a hundred years.
Landmarks such as Ferry Church were on every sea
captain's chart of Narragansett Bay as they navigated
In the late
1800's and early 1900's, Narragansett became the
premier vacation spot for the wealthy. It was well
known as an elegant summer resort with a dozen or more
grand hotels and many large estates and "cottages".
Probably the most prominent landmark was the
Narragansett Casino, covering nearly one square block
from Ocean Road to Matheson Street. The towers on
Ocean Road served as the main entrance and covered
promenade are all that remain after a devastating fire
Judith Pond has long been one of New
England's important fishing ports. Because of its
accessibility and proximity to popular fishing
grounds, the pond has been rediscovered as a popular
harbor for cruising, sail and sportfishing. Located on
the west bank of Narragansett Bay, Point Judith pond
is protected by a granite breakwater. The pond is home
to several marinas, restaurants and shopping.