photo of logo for 1st Traveler's Choice  Travel and Lodging Directory of Bed and Breakfast, Country Inns and Small Hotels1st Traveler's Choice

Other Recipes
Internet Cookbook Recipe Index

Other Bed and Breakfast, Country Inns, and Small Hotels on 1st Traveler's Choice
Mississippi Lodging Directory

North America Lodging Directory

Virtual Cities

The Wilson House Inn

Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Heritage Recipe

Black Walnut Cake

This recipe is the Winborn Reunion's favorite cake. The Winborn reunion is held each year at the Wall Doxey State Park in North Mississippi. Winborn was a small community with the post office in the back of the general store that my Aunt Nora ran. She was the first woman Postmaster in the state of Mississippi. Mrs. Margaret Nichols shared this recipe with me only because my aunt was her favorite cousin (and I begged). Delissa Britt

Ingredients
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/2 cup Wesson or Mazola oil
2 cups sugar
5 eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups chopped black walnuts
One 6-ounce package of frozen coconut, thawed
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick of oleo, melted
One 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 box powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream margarine and oil. Add sugar and beat well. Add egg yolks and beat well. Mix buttermilk and baking soda. Stir until baking soda dissolves. Add flour to mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Stir in vanilla, add walnuts and coconut, and stir well. In separate bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter. Pour batter into 3 greased, wax paper-lined 9-inch round pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until done. Cool in pans for 10 minutes and turn out.

Cream Cheese Frosting: Melt oleo and mash up cream cheese. Add oleo to cream cheese and mix. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Spread on layers and top of the cake.

  • You found this recipe on 1st Traveler's Choice Internet Cookbook. (www.virtualcities.com)

Other Recipes on the Internet Cookbook of 1st Traveler's Choice with 1000's of tried and tested recipes from Innkeepers, Chefs, and Culinary Professionals.
Internet Cookbook Recipe Index
Other Bed and Breakfast, Country Inns and Small Hotels on 1st Traveler's Choice Travel and Lodging Directory
Mississippi Lodging Directory ... North America Lodging Directory
Mississippi Vacation Rentals ... North America Vacation Rentals ... Virtual Cities

1st Traveler's Choice offers you lodging choices of Bed and Breakfast, Country Inns, Small Hotels, Resorts, Dude Ranches and Vacation Rentals in great vacation areas. If you are looking for places to stay where you can enjoy a romantic getaway, great fishing, fly-fishing, skiing, golf, tennis, boating, horseback riding, sight seeing or just plain relaxing you've come to the right place. If you are traveling for business or pleasure you can find it here at www.virtualcities.com .........© 1997 - ONS Inc.