{short description of image} 1st Traveler's Choice

Destination:
The Berkshires
of
Western Massachusetts

Hancock & Washington

River Walk along Housatonic River

Introduction

Lodging

Restaurants

Recreation

Attractions

Parks

Calendar of Events

Museums & Galleries

Architectural Wonders

Directions
Handcock

This township originated from a 1762 King's grant that established a territory then known as the "Plantation of Jericho."

Asa Douglas of Canaan City, New York wound up purchasing the biggest chunk of the territory -- a whopping 1,000 acres. Also getting a piece of the pie were Samuel Hand, Captain Caleb Gardner, Deacon Samuel Brown, and David and Charles Goodrich.

Asa also headed up the area's Local Committee of Safety during the Revolutionary War and led a militia company in the Battle of Bennington. Asa Douglas' son, Captain William Douglas, moved to Jericho with his wife, Hannah, in 1765, and Asa moved to Jericho the following year.

The senior Douglas' home, Shumway Farm, stands today just across the state line in Stephentown, New York. Most who lived in the territory which would incorporate into the township of Hancock chose to settle in the valley along Post Road. Only a few of the early settlers managed to farm in the high valleys.



Washington

The Proprietor's Book for Greenoch, also known as Watsontown and then Hartwood, was begun in 1761. It was first called Washington in 1784, when it became a town. The town was divided into an upper and lower village along Frost Road. A stage route traversed the mountainous west section of town before the Pontoosuc Turnpike was built in 1830 through the valley on the east side of town.

Some of the early business were represented by a woolen mill owned by Captain Horace Herrick, a grist-saw-carding mill owned by David Higgins, a flutter wheel saw mill owned by Phillip Eames, a potash factory owned by Sylvester Arnold, and a blacksmith shop owned by John Stacy.

The only local event of the Revolution was the camp of Captain Ford's company escorting prisoners from Burgoyne's Army to Boston. Lieutenant Michael Hildreth recorded their Passage through Washington. The camp is believed to have been behind Daniel Phillips' house.

Bucksteep Cross-County Center, Washington Mountain Road



Chamber of Commerce of the Berkshires
75 North Street, Suite 360
Pittsfield, MA 01201
(413) 499-4000
Fax: (413) 447-9641

Introduction .... Lodging ..... Restaurants ..... Recreation ..... Attractions ..... Parks
Calendar of Events ..... Museums & Galleries ..... Architectural Wonders ..... Directions

Towns
Adams
Alford
Becket
Cheshire
Clarksburg
Dalton
Egremont
Florida
Great Barrington
Hancock
Hinsdale
Housatonic
Lanesborough
Lee
Lenox
Monterey
Mount Washington
New Marlborough
North Adams
Otis
Peru
Pittsfield
Richmond
Sandisfield
Savoy
Sheffield
Stockbridge
Tyringham
Washington
West Stockbridge
Williamstown
Windsor
Tell your hosts you found them on 1st Traveler's Choice. (www.virtualcities.com)

Getaways ... Massachusetts' Lodging Directory ... America's Lodging Directory ...
Massachusetts' Vacation Rentals ... America's Vacation Rentals ... Virtual Cities
© 2000 - ONS Inc.