Galleries, and the Arts
of Massachusetts at Amherst
and Hampshire College
Even Goshen's name
bespeaks of religion. It is borrowed from the Bible, which
claims Goshen to be the best part of Egypt. Likewise, the
founding fathers of Goshen, Massachusetts considered their
spread of land to represent the best part of what was then the
original Chesterfield. So these brazen men and their
supporters petitioned to have their section of Chesterfield
incorporated into a new town, and thus Goshen was born.
The town's religious
underpinnings are further reflected on Main Street, where six
homes were built as parsonages and one still functions as
such. The Goshen Museum is located in what was originally The
Advent Chapel, which was built in 1878.
Folks refer to Granby
as the daughter town of South Hadley and the granddaughter
town of Hadley.
Most of what now makes
up Granby was purchased from three Indian chiefs in 1683, but
friction with the Indians kept the area from actually being
settled until about 1727. The town was incorporated in 1768 by
former settlers of what are now the towns of Hadley and South
Hadley. The governor of colonial Massachusetts named the new
town in deference to John Manners, a British cabinet member
who served as the the Marquis of Granby and distinguished
himself with decorum during the French and Indian War.
Settlement of the
Greenfield area commenced during the 1680's when grants of 20
acres each along the Green River were made to settlers by the town
of Deerfield. The majority of settlers were Deerfield men and
women. These were stout-hearted, valiant people who endured great
hardships, attacks by Indians and a terrible massacre in 1704
during the French and Indian War.
The territory was known as
the Green River district and was part of Deerfield until 1753. In
that year, it was incorporated as the separate town of Greenfield.
In 1811, when Franklin County was formed from the northern part of
Hampshire County, Greenfield was designated as the county seat.
The town was well known in the 1800s for its thriving tool and
cutlery industry. In 1962, Greenfield became home to Greenfield
Community College, which moved to its current site in 1974 and has
more than 3,000 students.
|The Five College
Bed & Breakfast Association
P.O. Box 3252, Amherst, MA 01004